Monday, June 8, 2015

Week 27 6th Month Mark!

This week flew by! The weeks really just seem to be blending together recently!
"The Burning of the Tie"
(a tradition of missionaries to celebrate their 6 month mark)
This week we set a goal of trying to call every person on the Branch Focus List. The Focus list is families that haven't been coming recently, the families and individuals that we are really trying to work with and help the most. There are about 15 different families or individuals and our goal was to call every single one and set up an appointment. Well, even though not all answered, we put in the effort, and we got to see almost every single family or individual on the list! It was a miracle that we were able to set up so many appointments, and it helped me get to know everybody in the Branch!


 "Super Hero" package from home.
My Hero DOES wear a white shirt & a Name Tag that says
Elder Leavitt on it!

This past week we had a Branch fast for Missionary Work. The entire week, the Branch was fasting. But how it was done was that one family would fast for a whole day, and a different family the next. That way we had people fasting the entire week, and then finished it all together on Sunday. It was SUCH a cool experience, and I've never participated in something like that! I really feel touched by the examples of the members to do something like that!

Helping to make "Cow Tongue Tacos", Yum.......
This week I had an experience that I will never ever forget. After District Meeting on Tuesday, we had to take Elder Wind and Elder Lewis back to their apartment. They are both English Elders that are serving close by. Elder Wind actually went to Pleasant Grove High, so I knew him before the mission. Anyways, we asked the question "Why did you come on a mission?" and I'll never forget what happened. Each of us, in turn, bore testimony of the journey of getting on a mission. It made me realize that every single person out here has had trials in their life and has learned from them. The Spirit was so strong as each person in turn talked about their trials that eventually led them to where they are: brother being killed, getting parasites, and a Liver disease. By the end, 4 elders were all in tears, yet we weren't ashamed.

We have found a new investigator named Francisco, a friend of Hermano Villatoro, a less active in the branch. This week we will be visiting him as long with Alvaro, our other investigator. Finding people has still been tough, but we're working to find more!

I truly have loved my time in Columbia so far, every day seems like a new miracle. This past weekend we helped out with another quinceanera, and got the opportunity to meet more and more people and talk about the Gospel! 

I love playing Soccer with both the members and investigators!
There were some quotes that I read this week that I really really love. The first was this: "Some blessings come soon, some blessings come later, some blessings don't come until heaven. But for those who Live the Gospel, blessings will come." I love that. Because sometimes we wonder where those blessings are. We've been choosing the right or trying our hardest but don't feel like we're getting rewarded, but we are PROMISED that those blessings will come if we live the Gospel every day! 

Another: "The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They MAKE the best of everything."  I've truly realized that on my mission. The people that are the happiest, always have a happy attitude. I've realized how much more I need to work on that! To make the best of everything instead of trying to attain everything. Attitude is so much more important on your mission, as it really decides how your days go! 

I love this Gospel. I love it so much. I'm so grateful for the Atonement and the wonderful power that it has to change lives and give us something to lean on on those days when everything seems to go wrong. I'm so grateful for my mission and for the support that I have. Have an amazing week!!

- Elder Leavitt






No comments:

Post a Comment