Monday, June 1, 2015

Week 26 LIFT


Well, I know that it's only been a few days, but I guess a lot has still happened!!

We've had great opportunities lately to meet new people! Friday night we had a big celebration for the members of the branch that had just graduated, at the Valentine's house, a member family.  We got the opportunity to talk to many people that weren't members, and it was a super good experience!  Saturday night we got the opportunity to play sports with members of the Branch. It was super fun, and I've definitely learned to love soccer while on my mission, I've been playing almost every single week out here!! One of the members had her boyfriend there, so we got to talk to him a bit about the church, and he will be coming next week and bringing more friends!

Yesterday was one of the most amazing days of my mission so far. Before church, we were trying for hours to find a ride for Alvaro, a referral that said he would be interested in coming to church. We talked to Hermano Mora, and he said he would go pick him up. Well, he went over there and Alvaro didn't answer the door or the phone, so Hermano Mora called us and told us he was just coming to the church and that Alvaro had ignored us. But then a few minutes later, he drives up to the church with Alvaro! He explained that he had felt a prompting to go try again, and it had worked! So Alvaro came to church and had an amazing experience. He is from Honduras, and his entire family is down there. We will be teaching him this week and getting to know him more! 

For sacrament, we had the homecoming of Julen Rodriguez, who had been serving in California. It was awesome to talk to a missionary that had just returned home, and get advice for the rest of my mission! 

After church, we went to the Rodriguez House, where we had dinner with them and their family for the Homecoming. I got to see the Gemio family from Frederick, and that was so awesome! They were so excited, and we got to talk for a while and catch up, even though it's only a been a few weeks, I've missed those members! 

From there we went to the Noboa's, a less active family that I still hadn't met yet. All I had heard about them was that nobody was sure why they don't still go to church, because their family is so amazing and always doing the right things. We went there and I had one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had. We talked for a while, just getting to know each other, and then we watched a new Mormon Message called the Lift. I'm pretty sure I was crying in less than 5 seconds of the video! If you haven't seen that yet, please watch it. It might be one of the most amazing videos of service I have ever seen. They loved it too, and were crying by the end. I don't know their story or why they don't come, but you could see in their eyes how grateful they were for the visit.  They kept thanking us for still remembering them and visiting them even though they haven't been to church. This morning, Hermana Noboa texted us saying that she had shared that video with her mom and hasn't stopped thinking about it. The Spirit was so strong and I loved meeting them.
https://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/series/mormon-messages/lift-the-power-of-service
We went to another Less Active Family, the Cantarero's. We got to meet them and talk to them, and we ate a late dinner with them. They invited us back, so we will continue to work with them also!

The work is definitely progressing. I'm so grateful for all of  the experiences that I am having! Have an amazing week.


- Elder Leavitt

No comments:

Post a Comment