Monday, July 13, 2015

Week 32 Turning 19

"God doesn't care nearly as much about where you have been as he does about where you are and, with his help, where you are willing to go." 

I would like to start my email this week with that wonderful quote from Jeffrey R Holland. If there is one thing I've realized on my mission, it would be that. The fact that we have a loving Heavenly Father never hit me as much as it does now, as I go along the streets and cities of Maryland preaching the Gospel. With seeing people in every aspect of life, I know that it is not important at all about where you have been before in your life, as long as you are willing to grow closer to him and improve. My mind has changed from "I'm not so sure that person would be interested" to "I want to talk to that person and find out about their story." It reminds me of the show "The Story Trek" where he goes around the United States asking random people about their life story. I get the opportunity to talk to amazing people and hear crazy stories, and no matter where they have been in their life, God only looks at where they are willing to go.

My family went to President & Sister Richards Homecoming yesterday.
This is my sister Caitlin and little Brother Miles with Elder Tyler Day and Elder Colin Dutsin.

Well with that, I'll talk more about my week! This week was hot. Hot. Hot. The humidity takes a toll, especially with all the rain that's been coming down too! Earlier in the week, we were trying to get into the house of a Less Active Member, but he wasn't home, and it was pouring rain. There were even tornado warnings, and we knew a storm was coming in. We were just standing under a tree when somebody came out of another townhouse close by and said "Elders, do you want to come inside?" We ran inside, not knowing who they were. It turned out to be a member family from a different ward!! They kept us inside, gave us some dinner, and even gave us some names of some Spanish friends they knew! It was such a sign that God was looking out for us.

Victor Soriano, the 9 year old that we are teaching, is doing really well! The problem is just getting a ride for him to get to church. The parents are less active and are always working, so we are trying to find a way to get a ride for him. It's definitely been interesting to try and simplify our teaching, and we've had to think about a bunch of Object Lessons that we can use, trying to get into the mind of a 9 year old! 

We still have Pablo and Luis as investigators, but it's been tough to see them because of all the work they've had to do!

This week we got to go to Annapolis for a baptism, and we brought Carlos and Viridiana. They are a young couple, about 29 years old. Carlos was raised as a member but has been less active, and Viri isn't a member of the church. We've been getting to visit them more lately and they wanted to go to Annapolis with us! Viri loved the baptism, and after the baptism we all went and got to walk around and talk to the people on the harbor of Annapolis! It was such a cool experience! We've grown so close to Carlos and Viri, they are so funny and awesome. They invited us to come over for dinner last night, and we had an amazing lesson and got to find out the concerns of Viri, which was mostly her doubt of the Book of Mormon. But by the end of the lesson, she said "Well I guess I can't say it's not true until I read it. I'm going to read it." And so it was awesome! Carlos will be a huge help with that.


Annapolis Harbor

Viridiana and Carlos



Hermana Castro, a less active, has been making some huge improvement also. We have  been doing "practice teaching" with her, so that we can get better at spanish and teaching, and she has agreed to allow us to do that! But the practice has been much more than that, because she has been crying during the lessons and just bearing her testimony and now coming to church again! It has been so amazing to see!

I'd like to end with a wonderful quote that Brother Tim Barlow from my home ward told me:

Many of the people that have hiked Mt Everest have said:
"What the mountain reveals about us is what has any lasting value."
Perhaps changing a phrase in that quote could be more applicable:
"What the full-time missionary service reveals about us is what has any lasting value."

I absolutely love this and have a testimony of that statement. What the missionary service reveals about us is what has lasting value. I've learned so much on my mission so far, and continue to learn every single day. The time is just flying by! I turn 19 this week, and I couldn't be more excited to continue my work as a missionary!

Happy Birthday Elder Leavitt we Love you and Miss you!!

Have a great week!
- Elder Leavitt

No comments:

Post a Comment